Job Opportunity: Laboratory Technician (Formulation)
Oxford Advanced Surfaces Ltd is a small chemistry company wanting to grow its laboratory team as it scales up commercial production of its coatings and also develops new products. We are based on a green field science park along with other small companies. We have just expanded our commercial team and are excited about the future!
We are looking for qualification to a minimum BTEC Level 3 in a relevant subject and/or relevant laboratory experience.
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we are not currently able to provide sponsorship under the Skilled Worker route for candidates.
This role has two main elements:
1. Supporting the research & development team
2. Manufacturing stock products to fulfil customer orders
• Manufacture small batches of materials, perform routine QC analysis (titrations, GC, viscosity, volatile content analysis) and record results
• Assist in manufacture of large batches up to 250L
• Dispense products into containers, label and prepare for shipment
• Ensure lab is kept clean and tidy at all times
• Maintain working stock of consumables
• Assist other scientists in new product development and research projects
• Demonstrable knowledge of basic laboratory skills and techniques including use of glassware, balances, pipettes, titrations, dilutions
• Experience in wet analytical chemistry particularly in volumetric analysis and stoichiometric calculations
• Interest in science
The above could be demonstrated either by qualification to a minimum BTEC Level 3 in a relevant subject and/or relevant laboratory experience.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as part of a team
• Accuracy and precision
• Experience in working with coatings and coating techniques (e.g. Drawdown bar, dip-coating)
• Basic knowledge of physicochemical properties of polymers
• Fundamentals of mechanical testing, thermal analysis, spectroscopy techniques
• Ability to plan work schedule
• PC proficient with good MS Excel and Powerpoint
• Attention to detail, desire to learn and ability to prioritise tasks
• Good spoken communication skills
• Able to document work clearly. Good writing and reporting skills
This role is predominantly laboratory-based. However, some degree of lifting and heavy work is likely with the daily movement of equipment, chemicals, waste and supplies. OAS is committed to ensuring that, where appropriate and reasonable, adjustments will be made to accommodate those who may struggle with the physical nature of the role
OAS would prefer that the successful applicant live within 45 minutes travel time of the laboratory.
Reference ID: Formulation
Application deadline: 06/08/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £23,000.00-£27,000.00 per year